Why Is My AC Buzzing?
Some quiet noise coming from your air conditioner? Totally fine.
A loud buzzing sound? Something’s up.
If you find your AC is buzzing, it is typically a sign that your system is suffering from an electrical issue, which can become more common as your unit ages. If you begin to consistently hear a buzzing sound when your air conditioner kicks on, you’ll want to set up an appointment with an expert technician for air conditioner repair.
In the meantime, let’s have a look at what could be causing your AC to make a buzzing noise.
Reasons Your AC Buzzes
Take a break from being distracted by your AC’s loud buzzing and learn why your unit may be on the fritz:
- There is a problem with the electrical connections. Electrical connections will actually become loose over time and eventually make a humming noise. If the wiring isn’t repaired, your AC may start shorting your home’s power.
- You have an issue with your home’s circuit breakers. Failing circuit breakers will cause the outdoor unit to hum or buzz.
- Your air conditioner is frozen or freezes over often. While not necessarily electrical, this issue can definitely result in strange sounds. If your AC frequently freezes, it’s important to figure out why and get it fixed.
- The AC’s condenser fan motor has stopped turning. Your inside blower may be running, but if the outdoor unit’s condenser quits, you’ll hear an annoying buzz.
- Something is wrong with your system’s contactor relay switch. Good news! Problems with this low-voltage switch on your outdoor unit are relatively inexpensive to fix.
What to Do When Your Air Conditioner Is Buzzing
If you notice that your AC is making a buzzing sound, the best thing to do is turn it off and call an expert. Unfortunately, when the source of an HVAC issue could be electrical, you’re risking harm to your home and to the people in it if you keep your system running. Plus, you’ll want to save your AC from further damage.
Again, it’s possible that the buzzing is due to your unit being frozen. The system may work fine after having time to thaw. However, if it is still working improperly or it freezes over again, you’ll need someone to inspect your AC.
Call Metro Heating & Cooling for AC Repair in St. Louis County
The team at Metro Heating & Cooling has been tackling air conditioning repair in Fenton, MO and the surrounding area for over 25 years. We’re dedicated to providing excellent work and top quality customer service.