Frequently Asked HVAC Questions
Maintenance and service for your heating and air systems might seem overwhelming, but the professionals at Metro Heating & Air are here to help. We’ve made up a list of our customers’ most frequently asked questions and answers. If your question isn’t addressed here, please feel free to contact us anytime.
Residential HVAC FAQs
- How often should I change my filters? – It’s generally recommended that you change your air filters every 30 to 60 days, depending on the type of filters used and whether you have pets or allergy issues.
- What type of filter should I use? – Spun fiberglass filters provide the minimum amount of filtration to prevent damage to your HVAC unit. Pleated or HEPA filters offer filtration of smaller particles to improve the overall air quality in your home. You should, however, be careful that the increased filtration does not overly strain your system. If you need help selecting the right filter, our technicians can help you make the right choice.
- Do I need to zone my house? – A zoning system allows you to customize the comfort in your home. You can choose not to heat or cool seldom-used areas or provide more conditioned air in parts of your home that need it. This can result in significant savings on your utility bills.
Commercial HVAC FAQs
- My utility bills are high, but my employees and customers are still uncomfortable. What should I do? – System inefficiency can be caused by a variety of factors. The first step in deciphering the issue is to ensure that you are changing your filters regularly. Scheduling a service call with an experienced professional can allow for the evaluation and diagnosing of your system inefficiencies.
- How long should my commercial HVAC system last? – A commercial HVAC system should last, on average, 10 to 15 years. A well-maintained system with regular preventive maintenance and repairs could last closer to 20 years or more.
- How often should preventive maintenance be performed? – Generally, it’s a good idea to have heating systems maintained in the fall and cooling systems serviced in the spring. However, commercial HVAC systems work harder than residential systems, and it may be necessary to have maintenance performed more often.
Emergency HVAC Repair FAQs
- My air conditioner is leaking a lot of water. Is it broken? – HVAC systems drain liquid as a part of their normal operation. If the water doesn’t dry up within a day or your drain pan is overflowing, you should schedule a service appointment.
- Our AC just shut itself off. How do I get it to turn back on? – Your system shutting off abruptly is usually a sign of a major problem. You should have it serviced by a professional.
- Do you offer same-day service? – Yes! If you need emergency HVAC service, call us at (314) 845-5900.
Indoor Air Quality FAQs
- Does my pet’s hair affect my air quality? – Pet dander is spread, along with other contaminants, through the vents and ductwork in your home. Selecting a high-quality air filter can help reduce this circulation.
- Could my frequent headaches be caused by poor indoor air quality? – Headaches can be caused by allergies to VOCs, mold, dust, and pet dander. There are a variety of products available to combat these substances. Your HVAC professional can help customize a solution.
- Does humidity affect my indoor air quality? – Yes, excess humidity can create a breeding ground for mold and dust mites, which can cause increased allergy symptoms and structural damage to your home.
If you have additional questions or would like to schedule service, contact the Metro Heating & Cooling HVAC experts at (314) 845-5900 today.